ASTRALJUMP

StarCounter

Monday, August 30, 2010

KARL

I was 21 years old and I lived in an apartment in a townhouse once owned by J.P. MORGAN.  It was very unusual with a huge fireplace and many stain glass windows.  It was directly across the street from Central Park.  It was my first apartment in Manhattan.  I also had acquired my first job in the big city.  The whole experience was both exciting and very, very lonely. 
With time at my new job I met a few nice friends.  The one I wish to speak of here is, KARL.  In the small group of people I became a part of, he was the most unusual person I had ever met, up to that point in my life.  He was over 6 feet tall.  He had piercing eyes that looked "into" you, not "at" you.  To me he physically appeared like all of the typical pictures that hung in churches of THE CHRIST.  (With time, I came to believe that Christ did not look anything like those pictures in churches. )
Anyway, Karl had experimented with just about every imaginable drug of the time.  He primarily smoked weed all the time and was always "high".  He was the first person to ever tell me that the world was "messed up" and that most people in the world were lowly evolved spiritually.  Of course I had no idea what he was talking about and did not really care..... BUT, Karl was a beautiful human being.  He never raised his voice and he never would lift a finger to harm anything or anybody.  I do not remember ever seeing him get angry.  He was so quiet and calm at all times.  AND.....he did not give the impression that he took drugs at all?  Our small group of friends to my knowledge and memory, did not take any kinds of drugs.  WE JUST DRANK WHISKEY! AAHahahahah!!! 
Karl and I shared a lot of time together and in spite of the fact that I did not really comprehend the many thoughts and ideas he had about humankind, I still enjoyed our times together.  (When I went away for a long period of time Karl sublet my apartment until I returned).
The first time I ever tried MARIJUANA was with Karl.  Its' result on me was that of laughing my ass off for hours!  It was so much fun.  Me repeatedly questioning Karl as to whether or not I was "high" or not was a riot.  He would smile and say, YES, MARSHALL, YOU ARE VERY STONED!  He would explain in detail how the Marijuana affected various individuals.  It was all very exciting and very interesting.
One day at work, I asked Karl about the drug, LSD.  He said we would talk about that at lunch.  We did.  He had taken it on several occasions.  I told him that I had heard very bad things about it.  I even knew of a few friends outside of our circle that had committed suicide while on this LSD.
He quickly comforted me in telling me that these people should never have been permitted to take the drug in the first place.  He told me that these particular persons had been unstable individuals to begin with and this had not been a good move on either their part or those involved.
Months passed and I continued to bring up the subject of LSD (also referred to as ACID).  Karl looked at me with that "Christ-Like" stare one time and said, MARSHALL, WOULD YOU LIKE TO EXPERIMENT WITH ACID?  I almost jumped out of my skin and replied, OH NO!!!  The subject was dropped.
Sometime later, I brought up the subject again with Karl while we were hanging out in Greenwich Village with several Artists and Musicians.  Karl once again said to me, MARSHALL WOULD YOU LIKE TO EXPERIMENT WITH ACID?  I practically yelled out, OH NO.  I WAS JUST ASKING!  He calmly smiled at me and changed the subject.  I would also like to mention that Karl was what one would consider a, PACIFIST.  I was so totally blind in those days.  I had no idea that he was just like all of those people I would see either on television or on in the newspapers that would "turn the other cheek" when struck or "sit-in" during protest for peace.  He was just KARL, my quiet, calm and compassionate friend.
I do remember some things about how he made me feel as a person when I was around him from time to time.  He always made me feel that no matter what I did or said about anything or anybody was alright.  He always made me feel comfortable when we were quiet and did not speak any words during our times together.  He seemed to laugh at my jokes even when they were bad.  When I was sad or angry, he would attempt to help me to find clarity in my feelings. 
Sitting here writing about KARL brings back so many memories that I had forgotten in my past.  (Remembering KARL has suddenly brought back the memory of someone that was so much like him in my life......KENNETH! (A great musician)  Wow!  "K"  two "Ks")  Until this day, I have NEVER known anybody like these two?)
For the moment, I am relaying to you my time shared with Karl.  He was my friend and guide at that time in my life.  I am suddenly remembering a person who actually showed me in physical reality what is called, UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!
In my next blog, I will tell you all about THE TRIP!  (That is what it is called, when one takes LSD(ACID).  
More later,

Love and Light!
Marshall

No comments: